Friday, August 19, 2011

Feeding the Monster:Art and Bullshit for the Morose and Sullen


On the Threshold of Eternity, Vincent Van Gogh, 1890

Fun fact: this painting was done in the year he killed himself.

"I am trying myself also to do as well as I can, but I will not conceal from you that I hardly dare to count on always having the necessary sanity. And if my malady returns you would forgive me. I still love art and life very much...I declare I know nothing, absolutely nothing as to what turn this may still take.
"Oh if I could have worked without this accursed malady, what things I should have done, isolated from others, following what the country said to me. But there, it's all over for this journey." - Van Gogh, written a few months before his suicide.

And here are some uplifting Tennessee Williams quotes ripe for the picking...

"I think no more than a week after I started writing I ran into the first block. It's hard to describe it in a way that will be understandable to anyone who is not a neurotic. I will try. All my life I have been haunted by the obsession that to desire a thing or to love a thing intensely is to place yourself in a vulnerable position, to be a possible, if not a probable, loser of what you most want. Let's leave it like that. That block has always been there and always will be, and my chance of getting, or achieving, anything that I long for will always be gravely reduced by the interminable existence of that block."

"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors."

"In memory, everything seems to happen to music."

"But there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark -- that sort of make everything else seem -- unimportant."

Here's a few saturnine Townes Van Zandt tunes...

Waitin' Around to Die


Dead Flowers


Tecumseh Valley


If I Needed You



All I have is this cheap, used-up, battered body. I am worth nothing but a quick and irrelevant gratification, to be forgotten in the next moment. All I am is what I was told I was at 16. Nothing has changed, no lessons learned. Tears are a sign of the weak and hopeful. My eyes are bone dry. Why fight being a good-time girl?





No comments:

Post a Comment