Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Prevalence of Jesse James in American Music

I have been drawn to unique-themed playlists and listening projects this summer, inspired by various sources, friends, kindred spirits, radio programs, and American music in general. I've created lunar playlists, emotional playlists, playlists about rain or fire, have had playlists made for me about evil and the macabre futility of existence, and playlists where you listen to one song in various incarnations. I realized, that Jesse James not only seems to be a popular topic in American folk music, but a few variations of the song "Jesse James" persist through many different genres, so I figured I could combine the themed playlist aspect with the single-song-many-versions aspect to form a uniquely American, Jesse James-soaked listening experience. It also links up with my weird and unexpected obsession with trains as of late. And it allows me to express my musical fanaticism in the nerdiest fashion possible; the unassigned homework approach. And so continues my Americana summer...

"Jesse James"- Woody Guthrie


"Jesse James"- Pete Seeger


"Jesse James"- Bruce Springsteen


"Jesse James"- The Pogues


"Jesse James"- The Kingston Trio


"The Ballad of Jesse James"- Johnny Cash


"Just Like Jesse James"- Cher Yeah, I had the cajones to post this one.


"Just Like Jesse James"- The Mooney Suzuki Okay, this one wouldn't really make sense without the original Cher version... (Just copy and paste and hit play because this stupid site won't let me post links for some reason)
http://grooveshark.com/#/search?q=mooney+suzuki+just+like+jesse+james

"Riding with Jesse James"- Charlie Daniels


"I'm Bad Like Jesse James"- John Lee Hooker


"Frank and Jesse James"- Warren Zevon


"I Dreamed I Saw Jesse James Last Night"- Charlie Parr


"The Great Conch Train Robbery"- Shel Silverstein


"A Train Robbery"- Levon Helm

No comments:

Post a Comment